Thursday, January 6, 2011

Shopping around

Today I had the pleasure of meeting people from all across many different lines of work.  I started the day off by heading downtown to the office of Meredith Davidson who is a good college friend of mine.  She works for the Birmingham Business Alliance.  She so graciously set aside for me 10 copies of the Birmingham Magazine that our feature story ran in this month.  It has been exciting to see this business venture as it is unfolding.  I pinch myself and say "is this really happening?"  and it is!!
After leaving her office we ran around to several more stops looking at fabrics, trim, wallpaper and the list goes on.  I have to keep my contacts up to date and all of my resources so when you clip out that oh so fabulous picture of a custom  upholstered sofa in chocolate Belgium linen with damask print throw pillows and reclaimed lumber coffee table I will know where to get it from.
I get cracked up because so many people think that the life of someone in the design field is glamorous.  I always laugh about it when I have been in the refrigerator box of the wholesale florist for an hour digging out fresh greenery or out in the workshop at 1:00am with stain all over my clothes and my hands.  Well today was the worst stunt I have pulled yet.  I left wearing my tall black 3" heel boots with one of my favorite dresses and my long black coat from Anthropologie (which is one of my wardrobe favorites.)  If you follow the blog you know that we have been working on some custom furniture.  We have a couple of pieces finished, we are just waiting on a few more things to be finished up before we release everything.  We decided that we wanted to incorporate something more into the designs.  Steven loves wood, and I love the thought of recycling and we came up with the idea to take our design concepts and build them out of reclaimed lumber.  This thought of giving new life to something that would have otherwise been sent to a land field inspired us to go and check out some lumber first hand.  We go today and spend an hour just talking to the owner and walking through a huge warehouse of materials from textile mills to shipping yards from all over the country.  Needless to say walking through a dirt floor facility with those boots on wasn't the best idea.  We also met the three warehouse dogs who loved me because when I left there my favorite coat was covered with dirt from their sweet little paws.  They couldn't resist me I guess :)
If anyone has any custom furniture ideas that they would be interested in just shoot us an email or call us.  We love custom projects and are willing to do pretty much anything you can dream up!


No comments:

Post a Comment